Causes of unintentional weight gain after the 40s and 8 easy and fast ways to lose it
Updated: Sep 24, 2021
We know that sometimes, despite our efforts to have a healthy diet and a disciplined exercise regime it can be difficult to maintain an ideal weight, this is especially true when we are after our 40s.
What most don’t know is that undetected hormone imbalance can be the missing link – sabotaging our hard work to stay slim.
Excess weight around the middle indicates blood sugar problems and gain weight particularly on your hips and thighs often indicates estrogen dominance.
What’s the Connection?
Hormones are key players in regulating weight, metabolism, blood sugar, insulin, and when and where the body stores fat. As we age, shifting hormones trigger numerous symptoms of imbalance – including unexplained weight gain.
Common hormone-related causes of weight gain often involve the following scenarios:
Estrogen & Progesterone Imbalances
Result in weight gain in hips and thighs, water retention & sluggish metabolism
Low Testosterone or DHEA
Lead to decreased lean muscle and increased body fat, decreased metabolic rate & abdominal obesity
Results in insomnia, anxiety, sugar cravings, feeling tired but wired & increased belly fat
Causes chronic fatigue, low energy, food and sugar cravings, poor exercise tolerance or recovery & low immune reserves
In particular, Vitamin D3 deficiency is associated with hyperinsulinemia & increased belly fat
Low Thyroid function
High TSH leads to hypothyroidism, low metabolic rate & obesity
Indicative of insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome & abdominal obesity
Predictive of Type 2 Diabetes which can lead to obesity
It’s also linked to weight gain
Research shows that women gain an average of 5 pounds during menopause
Being intolerance to some food can also lead to weight gain
What can we do?
Here are some easy tips which can help in losing weight.
1. Drink a lot of water, especially before meals, it gives you a sense of satiety and avoid you eat too much.
2. Eat protein for breakfast, as been shown to reduced calories intake during the day.
3. Drink Green Tea, though green tea contains small amounts of caffeine, it is loaded with powerful antioxidants called catechins, which are believed to work synergistically with caffeine to enhance fat burning
4. Use a smaller plate, it seems to help people eat fewer calories with a consequent loss of weight.
5. Sleep more, studies show that poor sleep is one of the strongest risk factors for obesity in adults
6. Try Intermittent fasting, the popular eating pattern in which people cycle between periods of fasting and eating. Short-term studies suggest intermittent fasting is as effective for weight loss as continuous calorie restriction.
7. Chew more slowly, the sense of satiety comes after 30 minutes, so make sure you take your time when eating.
8. Keep healthy food around in case you get hungry, this prevents you to indulge in unhealthy food when you feel like eating.
9. Avoid fizzy drinks and fruit juice in general (apart from the freshly made), they are loaded with sugar, and its consumption is strongly associated with an increased risk of obesity, as well as conditions including type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
10. Eat more vegetables, they contain few calories and make you feel fuller longer
These are some tips on how to lose weight, just try them and see how it goes.
If you wish to find out the root cause of your weight gain and have a personalized plan, book your free consultation with me on chiaranutrition.co.uk and find out how I can help you. Don’t wait, It’s time to start.
That’s all for now.